Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:14:26 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>, "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: documentation issues generally

Now, listen, this is getting a bit silly.

There's no logical follow that just because there's more FreeBSD websites
that it means the system documentation is poor.  There are just as many
other valid reasons that this can be happening, here's a few:

1) It's getting easier and easier every year to CREATE websites, and
cheaper and cheaper to field them.

2)  There's more FreeBSD in use out there than there used to be - I'm sure
that FreeBSD use has doubled several times over the past 3 years and if you
look at the number of websites as a percentage of the general FreeBSD usage,
I don't think you could make your case - in fact I'd suspect that there's a
smaller percentage of FreeBSD users setting up websites on FreeBSD than ever
before.

3) The number of UNIX applications ported to FreeBSD has exploded, there's a
lot more things that you can do with it than there used to be.

4) There's more newbies using FreeBSD than ever before and newbies naturally
consume more documentation than experienced folks.