Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 13:05:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        james@wgold.demon.co.uk (James Mansion)
Cc:        jack@diamond.xtalwind.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

> > NoThanks 4.0's  stock ATI ??? video drivers can't change desktop font size
> > without a re-boot.
>
> Aw, gee, its a tough one this.  Can put up with NT's annoying need to
> reboot after changeing IP settings etc or some of these screen
> resolution issues in return for Excel and Word and VC++ and VJ++ and
> Access and a decent choice of web browsers and Purify that I can afford?

Unless you are talking about NT 3.51, you're wrong: it does not need
a reboot, just an undocumented call into an undocumented DLL.  Microsoft
just likes to ask for reboots because their change flag doesn't have
the necessary granularity to distinguish between "changes needing a
reboot" and "simple changes" -- all they see are "changes".

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---