Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 18:41:39 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Kenneth R. Westerback" <krw@tcn.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lost boot up (pre DMESG) messages - BIOS mem ...

>>   BIOS base mem (639K) != RTC base mem (640K), setting to BIOS value
>>   Copyright FreeBSD ...
>>   ... and rest of DMESG recoverable stuff ...
>>
>> Do you know what RTC stands for?  Just curious about the hidden meaning in
>> this message. With 32M I guess I won't miss 1K, but I am curious about
>> where it goes!
>
>RTC == CMOS
>
>Don't sweat it. I don't even think the first 1mb is used by the kernel
>because it's divided.

   The first 640K is used by the kernel. The next 384K is the ISA hole and
the remainder is "extended memory".
   The message indicates that the BIOS wants to reserve 1K of memory at the
end of 'base' memory. The message is harmless. In previous releases, FreeBSD
went ahead and used the memory, but now we do what the BIOS wants and just
warn about it. The warning should be removed or only come out if the amount
of memory the BIOS wishes to reserve is unusually large.

-DG

David Greenman