Date:      Mon, 22 Dec 1997 20:21:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Greg Pierce <greg@west.netsol.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   reboot killing process

The following has occurred three times to me:

	I exit netscape and the process does not die.  In fact it starts
to take up 100% of the CPU.  I let it go for a while to make sure its
not really going to do something.  I kill -9 the process.  It doesn't
die.  ps and top show it still there, still eating 100% of the CPU.
I kill -9 the process again.  My machine reboots itself after 1-2
seconds of being locked up.

My setup is the following:

	3.0-971208-SNAP
	AMD 486DX4-133
	32 MB RAM
	128 swap file in /usr/swap , vn device
	Netscape 4 from the ports collection
	Diamond Stealth video
	XFree86331 , Fvwm2
	S3 accelerated driver in 800x600x16bpp
	1 ide controller , 2 ide drives

The first time this happened i had netscape with the default cache
settings.  The second time I had 8MB of memory cache and no disk
cache, the third time, 32MB of disk cache and no memory cache.
Many times netscape exits just fine.  Sometimes it doesn't exit
right, but a kill really kills it.  I write those off as netscape
being wierd.  But the three times it rebooted my system can't
be netscapes fault , can it?

I have no problems with any other program, X11 or otherwise, and
the machine is usually under heavy load, lots of swap pressure,
etc, so I am stumped as to why Netscape is out to get me.  Thats
why I send to this list for the first time.  I just use the SNAPs
and don't keep current with cvsup, so if this is an out of date
bug, i apologize.

Greg Pierce
greg@west.netsol.com