Date:      Tue, 26 Feb 2002 12:57:56 +0200
From:      "Wim Olivier" <wimo@mailbox.co.za>
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RE: RE: Incoming UserPPP in Fbsd 4.0-RELEASE

Hi Joe,

I'm dialing from a laptop into my FBSD 4.0-REL box at work.
I got it working using PAP auth.  Thanks for the help.
The max connect speed I get is still 9600bps.  I set up variable buad
rates, starting at 57600bps and falling down to 1200bps in
/etc/gettytab and setup /etc/ttys to spawn getty at VH57600.
(I did do a 'init q' to re-read /etc/ttys afterward.)
It seems like the modems connect and chase the speed down to 9600bps
eventually.
Both the laptop and the BSD box modems  are 56k capable and the serial
port on the PC is also set to 56k connect speed.

I also reset both modems to factory defaults.

Any further ideas anyone?

Regards,
Wim Olivier
South Africa