Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 12:38:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@housing1.stucen.gatech.edu>
To:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, marcs@znep.com, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD advert

Jake Hamby wrote...
> Marc Slemko writes:

> > To follow up to what I said before, even better... the FreeBSD ad popped
> > up when I did a search on Linux.  <g>
>
> That's not a coincidence!  Yahoo's search engine appears to pop up ads
> semi-intelligently.  If you search for Linux or FreeBSD, you'll get .. a FreeBSD
> ad!  If you search for sex, you get "Create Your Own Custom Hardcore Porn
> Channel" or "The Net's Only XXX Search Engine" (I'm not kidding! :).  Look up
> "religion", and you get "Bible News", which you'll need after visiting either of
> the previous sites, I'm sure.  ;)  Look up "Java", you get a site offering Java
> training.  And so forth...
>
> Talk about targeting your audience!  Well, I must admit that's a pretty clever
> idea, and I'm surprised that you didn't figure out it was more than just
> coincidence...

	I think one of the best examples I've seen of targeted advertising
is www.pricewatch.com.  One time I was clicking around there, and at the
top of the screen I see this ad that says "There is life after Georgia
Tech."  It was a link to IBM's college recruiting page...  Apparantly
they've figured out that Georgia Tech is in Atlanta, since there's a banner
at the top of the motherboards page that says "Atlanta click now!"  (it's
some coupon advertisement)

	There's another ad on there that popped up "Topics for Term
Papers."

	So they do targeted advertising based on hostname.  Pretty
interesting.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry