Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 10:41:39 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        "Ash, Uriel" <uriel.ash@honeywell.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "'raff'" <raff@electrocity.com>
Subject:   Re: Installing apache with a dynamic IP address

If you want to access your website from the outside world, then you need a
static address, but if you are just doing development, and you will be running
the browser on the same box as the server, then you don't.  You would access
the site from 'localhost', the loopback address.

"Ash, Uriel" wrote:

> Hi Everyone;
>
> I host a website using my local ISP. The ISP uses DHCP to give it's clients
> IP addresses. I want to install apache web server on my FreeBSD box at home
> to see how it works and to play a bit. Do I need to get a static IP address
> to use with my BSD box\server or is there any way I can use the address my
> current ISP assigns me via DHCP as the adderess to use with Apache??
> Thanks
> Uriel
>
> Uriel Ash
> Honeywell Int.
> Defense Avionics Systems
> Aerospace Electronic Systems
> Teterboro NJ 07609
> Phone: 201-393-2111
> Fax: 201-393-6520
> email: Uriel.Ash@honeywell.com

PETER SCHWENK                        | Campus IT Associate 3
Department of Mathematical Sciences  | University of Delaware
schwenk@math.udel.edu                | (302)831-0437