Date:      Sun, 01 Feb 1998 05:09:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <marcus@miami.edu>
To:        Gary Dunn <knowtree@aloha.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X, NFS, 3C900 NIC

As for optimizing X, you could look into the Accelerated X drivers from
Xi Graphics (http://www.xig.com), or try playing around with
xvidtune(1).  As for sharing with NT/95, don't bother with NFS.  Install
the Samba port.  It is a SMB server for UNIX that is completely
compatible with NT/95.  It will get your FBSD box to show up in Network
Neighborhhod with any name you want.  If you don't like the way X looks,
intsall a better window manager.  Try afterstep or enlightenment.  If
you like W95, try qvwm or fvwm-95.  For a cool desktop look and feel,
try kde.  All of these are available from the ports page off of the
FreeBSD homepage.  Motif is nice, but afterstep's GUI is pretty neat
too.  Also, look into the free lesstif (Motif 1.2 compatible).  It comes
with mwm.  But, if you're use to HP/UX, you'll probably be most at home
with kde, a few CDE work-alike.

Joe Clarke