Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 01:43:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ben Black <black@MR.Net>
To:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Justin Ashworth <ashworth@fubar.cs.montana.edu>, "Richie P. Bandales" <richieb@unet.net.ph>, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: news server

well, i've posted rough benchmarks to the list a couple of times.

P5-120, 64MB RAM, 2940 SCSI (NOT wide SCSI), SMC 100Mb Enet

simulatenous innxmits to 75 sites resulting in over 6 million articles
fed per day.  load average never exceeds 3 and is usually under 2.  the
use of raw disks in a cyclic manner means that expire is never run on
machines with these mods.

we can sustain over 200 articles/sec between machines using raw disks and
have seen bursts over 400/sec.

we upgraded the machine to 128MB RAM to stop solaris from swapping so
much, but 64MB was (is) plenty using freebsd.

as i said, i will get the code released as quickly as i can.

on a side note, did you know that www.be.com is running freebsd?

Ben
black@mr.net