Date:      Mon, 01 Mar 1999 12:08:30 -0600
From:      Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Seeing port translations from firewall machine

Hi all,
  I have a small problem.  I am running 3.0-STABLE on one of our firewall
boxes.  The problem that I am experiencing involves ipfw/natd port
translations.  I can see an internal machine on port 110 (POP3) from
outside of our network just fine, I can also see the machine just fine on
the internal side.  However, I am unable to see the internal machine from
the firewall server itself.  This presents a problem from the internal side
for mobile sales people that want to keep the external name for the mail
server in their email setup.
  I just have one simple question:

How do you get the port translations to take effect for packets coming from
the firewall itself?  Is this a special setting in NATd?  If so, what are
the settings necessary?

OK, so it's 3 questions.

TIA,
Ben Gavin