Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 12:00:11 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1018116012.e76047@mired.org>
To:        dak <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Merging two partitions in one

In <20020401085058.GA707@mars.WorkGroup>, dak <aurelien.nephtali@wanadoo.fr> typed:
> Hi,
> My HDD is partitioned in two, a FAT32 partition and an UFS partition with FreeBSD on it;
> I want to know how to merge the two in one UFS partition (i'll format the FAT32 and convert
> it to UFS first) and I want my /usr / /var grow too, is that is possible with a minimum (null ?)
> risk of losing datas and/or breaking my UFS partition ?

You have one of two situations. Either you *have* to dump/restore the
UFS slice, or you have a method that should work. I'd recommend
dumping everything just for safety in any case.

If the UFS slice is first, then you can grow the last partition in it
to cover the second slice. To do that, you use fdisk to make the first
slice cover the entire disk without changing the starting point. Then
you use disklabel to do the same for the last partition in the
slice. Finally, you use growfs to grow the file system on that
partition into the space you just gave it. If the UFS slice isn't
first, you have to dump, reformat, and restore everything.

	<mike