Date:      Sun, 03 Nov 2002 18:06:27 -0800
From:      "Greg Smith" <freebsd_mail@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disconnect and Reconnects using Hostap

Warner,

I have a Cisco 340 AP set up for my neighborhood to use.  It seems to
let clients stay associated as long as they are within range, even if
idle.  It has never blown up due to too many associations, since it
seems to drop clients after they go out of range.  And surely it has
less RAM than most of the machines running hostap.

I'm no wireless rocket scientist, but I thought that was the intention
of 802.11b - that chit-chat between AP and client would confirm that
the client was still nearby.

Why doesn't hostap do that?  It would seem that forcing clients to
reconnect might also defeat some of the power saving benefits of
infrastructure (non-adhoc) networks.

Greg