Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 19:04:48 -0700
From:      Matthew David Litwin <matt@dnai.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@Freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Location Scripts for FreeBSD

On Fri, 11 May 2001 08:07:37 -0700
Ron 'The InSaNe One' Rosson <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net> wrote

> Well I am the maintainer of pccard-site which was originnally written by
> Adam Laurie. Its funny in the last couple of days we have had the
> following scripts mentioned on this mailing list.

> http:/members.home.nl/r.j.h.blacquiere/pccard/index.html
> http://www.dnai.com/~matt/locations.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=personality&stype=all
> http://www.sdbug.org/download.php (pccard-site)

Well, I'm the source of the second item on this list. I've been getting
good use out of freebsd for a few years now: seems about time
to give something back. So ...

> It would be nice to get a colaberation going on all of our scripts and
> then get it committed to the ports tree.

count me in. Continuing to de-lurk,

> Following after Adam my goals are to be able to have pccard-site be
> independent of the systems files (no modifying of the systems files) I
> have gotten away with this except for a modification to rc.shutdown.

my goal was to interfere in the boot process as early as possible,
and have the boot proceed with new configuration files linked in.

The advantage of this is that its general: you don't have to know
which daemon's to restart, etc.

Disadvantages: you have to muck with system files (/etc/rc and
/etc/defaults/rc.conf) and you have to reboot to change configurations.

Parts of my stuff that might be useful elsewhere:

1) A simple, self contained one-level directory choice utility
(I have different locations correspond to different directories).

2) A utility to simulate changing a link, for use when / is
still mounted read-only (sort of a "readlink A, but pretend
B is link to C"). This lets the correct rc.conf be sourced early on.

The perl stuff may be a bit too specific to the directory structure I've
chosen.

> Just thinking out load.
Me too,

-Matt Litwin