Date:      Sun, 11 May 2003 00:34:42 -0700
From:      Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spammers

On Saturday, May 10, 2003, at 02:56  PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> On Fri, 9 May 2003, Scott A. Moberly wrote:
>> suggestion for display of ports web-side
>>
>> s/@/ at /g
>>
>> or someother obscure mix???
>
> Anything that you can visually identify and decode with minimal
> effort, spammers can (and probably already have) as well. For
> instance, "foo at bar dot com" is well known to be totally useless. It
> would help if people who want to contribute to this thread did some
> research first. :)
>
> One thing that does seem to work for personal web pages is to put your
> email address in a graphic. That at least raises the bar quite a bit.

A few weeks ago, I started using the entity for @ (#&64;) on my site,
and the amount of spam I've received since then has been quite a bit
less than it used to be.  I suppose it could be a coincidence though :-)

- jim

--
- jim mock  mij@{soupnazi|opendarwin}.org  jim@{bsdnews|FreeBSD}.org -
- editor in chief, BSD News: http://bsdnews.org  http://soupnazi.org -