Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 15:42:02 +0200
From:      WHS <wouters@cistron.nl>
To:        tech@openbsd.org
Cc:        misc@openbsd.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   GGI

The license stuff has finally been settled not long ago:

a quote from a mail from Emmanual Marty:

	only libggi is LGPL,
..
	The KGI drivers will be converted to the X license,
	all ggi demos shipped with libggi have been made public
	domain so that they can be reused as examples, and some
	libggi targets will probably use the X license as well,
	at author's discretion.

Ok. Let me say first that for some reason the port efforts by those who
originally were going to do so to Free/OpenBSD seemed to evaporate (for
various reasons, probably due to the new framebuffer stuff in the Linux
kernel, which is very much inferior to KGI so I don't get this myself)
and I was not willing to spend effort on a port that noone might use
(because even back then, some people strongly wanted LGPL for the lib
and this has evidently not changed). I've given plenty of arguments why
BSD'ing (preferably the 2 clause license as used in new FreeBSD code) is
fine for low level libs and that even using this for only the base part
of libggi (so that KGI programs can run on a pure BSD system) would be
enough, but to no avail.

It's now up to you all: is there any interest in using GGI given the
current license situation?
Is there interest in rewriting base-libggi under X/BSD license? (which
is not very big, so would be managable, a problem is that the code is a
moving target at the moment;
 for those interested in checking this out, in the current tree this is:
	lib/libggi/*.c
	lib/libggi/display/kgi
	a bit of lib/libggi/extensions/*

source is available from www.ggi-project.org
)

Perhaps some comments from the core teams could alter the minds of those
wanting LGPL.
(freebsd users: I'm not on this list so please mail me for something
important)

Regards,

Wouter