Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 00:23:14 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        dg@root.com, mturpin@shadow.spel.com, toasty@home.dragondata.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network adapters: Technical issues

At 11:05 PM 12/16/98 -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

>> The Intel Pro/100 ISA isn't supported, then? Or is it?
>
>No, it's a completely different animal.

Hmmm. One of the purposes of the upgrade is to get everything
running at 100 Mbps full duplex, so that we can use a Layer 2
switch efficiently. Anything running half duplex or 10 Mbps will
congest the switch by requiring it to use buffers to store and
forward packets. (It can do cut-through switching if there's
no speed difference.) We want to save the buffers to relieve
congestion if it happens.

How about the 3Com Fast Etherlink ISA? The part number is 3C515-TX.

--Brett