Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 20:01:55 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4GB Drives

>me
>> >
>> >Darn sure, I effectivly disabled disconnect/reconnect by tweaking the
>> >buffer full/empty ratios and a few other parameters in mode page 2.
>>
>> Why not just turn off disconnections in SCSI-Select? :)
>
>Because I can't do that on an NCR 53C825 :-).

Ahh.  Can't help you there.  There was a time when the aic7xxx driver
had slightly slower per transaction times than the NCR cards,
but then I realized that I was still bzeroing SCB structures for each
command.  Although when the driver first started, an SCB entry was only 32
bytes big, now the SCB holds almost 2k of data (each SCB has an
array of 255 SG segments as well as other book-keeping info) and the
bzero was totally unnecessary.  Needless to say, after I realized my
mistake, the transaction times fell through the floor.  I'll think you'll
be plesantly surprised with the performance of the aic7xxx driver
especially for your particular application.

>> You will need to pause the sequencer in order to change the status
>> of the led anyway if you do it from the kernel, so the edges should
>> be distinguishable between kernel blinks and sequencer blinks.
>
>I well be blinking the controller LED from the sequencer, not the kernel,
>I have lots of blinking signals from the kernel, I have 8 x 16 bits worth
>of them if I so desire :-).

:)

--
Justin T. Gibbs