Date:      Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:56:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <gerald@pfeifer.com>
To:        Karel Miklav <karel.miklav@siol.net>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GCC with GNAT Ada compiler

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, Karel Miklav wrote:
> 1. why gcc41 installs binaries in ${PREFIX}/ bin/?

Among others, this way, users do not have to modify their PATH (and
other settings) which as you noted is necessary with the approach you
described for your GNAT port.

> Isn't this a problem if multiple compilers are installed?

It's not.  I've carefully ensured, by means of proper configuration
options and several bug reports and pushes upstream, that all our
recent lang/gcc ports (gcc33, gcc34, gcc40, gcc41, and gcc42) install
conflict free, with the exception of gcc41 and gcc42 if Java is used.

> 2. with default configure parameters Ada library
> gets installed into ${PREFIX}/lib/gcc/
> i386-portbld-freebsd6.1/4.1.2/gcc/
> i386-portbld-freebsd6.1/4.1.2/. Would it be
> OK for other compilers to configure with
> --bindir=${PREFIX}/bin/gcc41? Maybe this is
> a GNAT bug and should be fixed?

Yes, GNAT should install into ${PREFIX}/bin as well, using the
--program-suffix= option, like the lang/gcc ports are doing.

> 3. Is it OK to build in switches for excluding Objective C and C++?

Depens which ports you have in mind. ;-)  It's probably not worth in
terms of disk space and build time to do this for the regular lang/gcc
ports.  These already are quite complex, plus by installing one of these
without C++, for example, you'd cause problems for other ports using
this one as a build dependency.

Gerald