Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:49:55 -0600
From:      Chris Wasser <cwasser@v-wave.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: smbfs > Sharity-Light > *

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 09:07:15AM -0600, Jamie Hermans wrote:
> > Werner Gillmer wrote:
> > >
> > > What is the BSD-equivilent for the Linux smbmount?
> >
> > sharity-light. But for my pity it couldn't mount in script, when I start
> > it by hands - all OK. Why?

You could also try smbfs by Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>, I've been playing
with it here and it works pretty damn well (haven't tried printers yet mind
you) and it works pretty much like the Linux smbmount, best of all, it's
free:

mount_smbfs -I 1.2.3.4 //user@machineid/share /mnt

With plenty of options for automation. Loads as a kernel module,
df reports:

Filesystem                    1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
//FLATLINE@DEEPTHOUGHT/PUBLIC  28414464 20298240  8116224    71%    /cmdmicro/public
//FLATLINE@DEEPTHOUGHT/BAK     28414464 20298240  8116224    71%    /cmdmicro/bak

(in the above case, both shares exist on the same physical partition, which is
why they both show the same amount of used/free space)

Pretty slick huh? If you wanna play with it (author says it's beta, looks pretty
stable to me so far, but your mileage may vary) get it from:

ftp://ftp.butya.kz/pub/smbfs/smbfs.tar.gz

Make sure you read the docs ofcourse :) Enjoy.

(PS: yes, I did jump on this from someone elses post yesterday, but it seems so
much nicer then Sharity-Light I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon, keep it up
Boris!)

This would be a great addition to the BSD source tree :) We already got nullfs,
msdosfs, etc, why not smbfs? :) <hint hint wink wink>