Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 1996 20:08:58 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        committers@freebsd.org, root@freebsd.org, postmaster@freebsd.org
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Too much cruft

Hi Walnut Creek folk, Jordan(?), Satoshi(?)

We at internat.freebsd.org, AKA za.freebsd.org have been maintaining
a mirror for quite a while, now. We are attempting to get this to
be as complete as possible without being ridiculous.

I am also setting up a mirror on a different net (My own work machine).

I have noticed an _enormous_ amount of wasted space in the master
site's distribution/ directory. It seems that as ports get upgraded,
many out-of-date tarballs do not get nuked. I created this directory
on my machine by doin a "make fetch" in /usr/ports, but internat's
is a mirror of the dir on ftp.freebsd.org. This latter dir is nearly
200MB larger that mine!

Could someone please clean this out?

An easy way is to move the files somwhere else and let "make fetch"
pull them back (from either a locallly networked drive, or pretend
that they are on a CDROM).

Mark Murray                PGP key fingerprint = 80 36 6E 40 83 D6 8A 36
This .sig is umop ap!sdn.                        BC 06 EA 0E 7A F2 CE CE