Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 01:58:01 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   some lpr changes: background

Hi.  I'm a systems programmer at RPI (Troy NY), and back in the
early 90's we migrated most of campus computing from a mainframe
to unix workstations.  We started off with both Sun and IBM
workstations, and needed a printing system that would work the
same on both platforms.  Someone found a bsd-ish lpr "on the net"
and we got that running on AIX and probably SunOS (pre-Solaris).

In the mid-nineties I took that over, adding support for newer
versions of AIX, Solaris, and later IRIX.  We also added a bunch
of other customizations, as various needs arose.  I did some net
searching of my own, and of the lpr's I could find at the time,
ours seemed to be the closest to FreeBSD's.  I meant to merge the
two, but other events pretty much tied up my schedule.  I am now
getting back to doing that, and I see people have made a LOT of
improvements in the meantime!  I've now caught up with enough of
those changes that I should be able to start to writing updates
for freebsd's current source to add features we've had here.

Our environment is that we have a few hundred workstations which
share the exact same userid space (via AFS).  We have some more
workstations which do not have the same userid's, but do want to
print.  We have well over 200 print queues, but I think only about
150 of them are used enough to notice.  We have one samba-based
server accepting jobs from PC users.  We have four or five main
print servers (and the samba server is not one of them...).  Most
of the print servers accept jobs from Mac users via CAP (eew), and
most of the print queues are driven via CAP/ethertalk (at least at
the moment).  The vast majority of our printers are networked
Postscript printers (obviously, given the CAP angle...).  Printers
range from simple B&W lasers, to expensive color printers, to big
color plotters (HP DesignJet and Phaser 600).  One very important
criteria for us is that we have to be able to charge users on a
per-job basis for what they've printed.  It's amazing how many
people "need" listings of all X manuals if they can print for free,
and how no one needs them all if we charge 5 cents a page...

So, I'd like to contribute at least some of these RPI-ish changes
back to freebsd (as I sort them out...), just because I think they
could be useful for other people.  I am aware of lprNG, which is
popular among many "heavy-duty printing" sites (in fact, it is
used by the CS dept at RPI).  The irony is that I may very well
switch over to lprNG after getting all these updates sorted out,
but I'd still like to sort them out just because I'd hate to see
them all thrown away.

I'd like to start up a discussion with any FreeBSD'ers who do use
the default lpr to handle a lot of printing.  I'm not sure this
mailing list is the best place for that, but it was suggested so
I'll try it here.  Note that I'm interested in both updating the
FreeBSD lpr, and in having a separate-ish package for lpr that
someone could install on other OS's (after all, almost all the
machines I'm running this on are NOT freebsd...).

I sometimes think of this as the "lpr:ce" project, compared to
"lpr:ng".  The Sci Fi network had "Star Trek: Classic Edition",
where they took the original star trek episodes and spruced them
up.  That's basically what I want to do.  In my own mind, anyone
who wants really heavy-duty printing should probably still dive
into lprNG.  I do not intend to work as hard as Patrick does.

Also, there's probably a question of how to best feed these
changes into freebsd.  If I do a PR for each of them, I'm going
to drive some committers crazy.  At the same time, it would be
prudent for several others to test these, since almost all of my
real-world (production) testing is on non-FreeBSD machines.

I'll send a separate message with a list of some of the changes we
have made...  It'll probably be a bit long.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute