Date:      Mon, 24 May 2010 00:33:41 +0300
From:      Kaya Saman <SamanKaya@netscape.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS Emergency - RPC and NFSD online but no connection??

Hi guys,

this is a really interesting yet annoying issue I'm having.....

I had a fully working NFS setup until earlier today when I had a failed
attempt at recovering an external hard disk that I fitted into my system
internally.

Now this disk has nothing to do with the system and is used with Linux
hence it runs the ext3 filesystem but since the BSD machine is the only
desktop I have I thought it a good idea to recover from there.

Anyhow, I removed the drive and in the mean time compiled Transmission
bit torrent client from ports and a failed attempt to compile Amule2
with a dependency failing to compile; if memory serves me well I think
it was cryptopp or something with pp at the end anyway. Sorry for lack
of stating on here if it necessary I will find this out and post it
immediately.

Well.... just to say now that I can't mount what I used to be able to
mount before.

I built a little shell script so that I didn't need to use fstab from my
Linux box and all I get as response is this:

:~# ./BSD2.sh
mount.nfs: mount system call failed

Syntax in shell script is:

mount -t nfs -o rw 172.16.0.200:/mnt/SATA /mnt/BSD2

I have checked the logs on the server /var/log/messages only there isn't
any information at all being given??

 From BSD if I try to restart or stop nfsd or mountd I get this:

rd1# /etc/rc.d/nfsd stop
Stopping nfsd.
^C

rd1# /etc/rc.d/mountd restart

which has held there for  a while now meaning that it's probably crashed
or something?

Netstat claims everything is online:

rd1# netstat -ap udp
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address       (state)
udp4       0      0 *.*                    *.*
udp4       0      0 *.tftp                 *.*
udp4       0      0 localhost.ntp          *.*
udp6       0      0 localhost.ntp          *.*
udp6       0      0 fe80:3::1.ntp          *.*
udp4       0      0 rd1.ntp                *.*
udp6       0      0 *.ntp                  *.*
udp4       0      0 *.ntp                  *.*
udp6       0      0 *.nfsd                 *.*
udp4       0      0 *.nfsd                 *.*
udp4       0      0 *.836                  *.*
udp6       0      0 *.836                  *.*
udp6       0      0 *.*                    *.*
udp4       0      0 *.653                  *.*
udp4       0      0 *.sunrpc               *.*
udp6       0      0 *.760                  *.*
udp6       0      0 *.sunrpc               *.*
udp4       0      0 localhost.domain       *.*
udp4       0      0 rd1.domain             *.*
udp4       0      0 *.syslog               *.*
udp6       0      0 *.syslog               *.*

and I don't have any firewall in place at all!!

Output of uname -a:

rd1# uname -a
FreeBSD rd1.optiplex-networks.com 8.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE #0:
Sat Nov 21 15:48:17 UTC 2009
root@almeida.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

The system is a 32bit PIV running at 2.4GHz with 480MB of RAM.

Really I'm not sure what to do if I need to upgrade NFS as one of it's
dependencies has been upgraded or something else as it's just not working??

Actually I've just typed in exit after su - 'ing to root from an SSH
session and the session looks like it's hung on me...??

Also I've had the system running into kernel panic and restarting a lot
earlier as the load average went up is what logwatch seems to show.

Can anyone help me out of this dilemma??

Regards,

Kaya