Date:      Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:58:01 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /bin/csh script in GELI partition crashes 6.3-STABLE

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 12:59:41AM -0600, Scott Bennett wrote:
> >> % cat show
> >> #! /bin/csh
> >> set delay=3D3D2
> >> set pixlist=3D3D(09 08 07 05 04 03 02 01)
> >> foreach i ($pixlist)
> >>         (nice xv $i.jpg &)
> >>         sleep $delay
> >> end
> >>=3D20
> >> The delay is simply to ensure the windows get opened in the sequence t=
hat
> >> I want them opened.  The photos are in the same directory, and I run i=
t by
> >> typing "./show" in the directory.  If I type, for example, "xv 01.jpg&=
", =3D
> >it
> >> works fine in either the old location or in the GELI partition.  If I =
type
> >> "./show" in the copy of the directory that is in the GELI partition, F=
ree=3D
> >BSD
> >> reboots immediately.=3D20
> >
> >I've run your script on a batch of photos on a GELI encrypted partition
> >without problems. This is on FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE amd64
> >
> >I would look at the X server. Since it runs as root and has access to
> >/dev/mem and /dev/io an X bug could potentially screw things up quite ni=
cel=3D
> >y.
> >I'm running xorg-server-1.4_4,1.
>=20
>      I'm still running xorg-server-6.9.0_5, I believe.  Haven't yet felt =
like
> wading through the swamp of troubles that seems to await those who upgrade
> to 7.x, but will probably have to suffer through it soon.

The base system upgrade was painless as usual for me. To prevent
problems with ports, I had portmaster make a list of 'leaf' ports. Then
I deleted all ports, installed the new base system and re-installed the
leaf ports, which took care of the dependancies. Other than that it took
a long time I didn't have problems with the upgrade.

> >If you have it installed, try display(1) from the ImageMagick suite
> >instead of xv. See if it makes any difference.
>=20
>      There's a thought.  However, I think first I'll try setting the GELI
> sector size to 4 KB to see whether that evades the bug.

That makes sense. I've never used anything but the default settings for new=
fs.

> >I presume you've checked for the obvious things such as out of memory or
> >filesystem full?
>=20
>      What do you mean "out of memory"? =20

Physical memory completely used and swap almost full.=20

> And I only had the file system loaded
> to about 45% after minfree.

> >>      Maybe I should try GBDE instead of GELI.  I chose GELI for the=3D=
20
> >> partition in question mainly because I was already using it for the sw=
ap
> >> partition, but maybe it's still a little too green to be reliable yet.
> >=3D20
> >I've used it on my /home for years without trouble.
> >
> >=3D46rom what I've read, GELI is supposed to be more secure.
> >
>      Well, if I can get it to work and not cause instant reboots, I'll st=
ick
> with it.  Otherwise I'll have to play around with what works.

The only trouble I ever had with GELI was to try and use encrypted USB
mass storage devices. But those were apparently caused by a buggy
USB<->ATA chip. And there seems to be a workaround in the driver on 7.x
because I haven't seen the problem since the upgrade.

Roland
--=20

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA--