Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 23:22:43 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1015478564.0a5fda@mired.org>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound cards that can record?

Ok, I've got four sound cards and two computers. I'd like both of them
to be able to record audio reasonably well.

One system has an AudioPCI ES1370 in it, which works like a champ. The
motherboard in that has an SiS 7012, which records very, very poorly.

The second system has a Trident 4DWave DX in it. Trying to record on
it gets the the message:

Mar  1 22:47:17 eve /kernel: pcm0: record interrupt timeout, channel dead

and no data. It looks like it has code to record, but no dice. Anyone
have any ideas on that?

It also has a Creative SB AWE64 - yes, that's an ISA card - in
it. That worked fine on 3.0, but on 4.x, all it records is very low
volume grey noise - it might even be white, but I'm not going to test
it. Yes, I loaded sbc, and can play sound back out through it.

Just for grins, a third computers claims to have an ESS ES1989 audio
controller on the motherboard, though I've never enabled it. I could
use it if I had to.

Can anyone provide some help? Like, for instance, the Trident 4DWave
works for you if you ...., or the ES1989 works, or possibly recommend
other cards/chipsets that are known to record?

	Thanx,
	<mike