Date:      Sat, 13 Apr 1996 10:54:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Brann <jbrann@panix.com>
To:        mc7953@mclink.it (Marco Masotti)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org (freeq)
Subject:   Re: Asus PVI486SP3 and 2940 compatibility - PART II

Marco Masotti wrote...

> Apart from the solution I've find out, any light out there?
> Could it be not really a compatibility problem of 2940 with the
> motherboard, but actually an issue between the two pci boards?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marco

I had exactly the same problem, but in my case the symptoms were not so
severe.  I have an Adapetc 2940 and a CL-GD5434 PCI video card, also.
I encountered this problem when trying to get 16bit colour from the
video card.  For that I needed to map directly to the video card's
memory buffer.  Doing this caused instant system crashes.

The cause was shown to me by the 'scanpci' program which comes with X11R6.
It turned out that both PCI cards were claiming the _same_ memory space.
It also appears that they calculate (internally) the address of that space
by some sort of offset*slot-number calculation.  The offset is not user-
definable for either card, and these two particular cards mapped over each
other as I had them originally installed.  As with your case, swapping
the slots cleared up my problem.

Regards,

John

--
Beavis and Butt-Head;  Vladimir and Estragon for the '90s.

finger jbrann@panix.com for pgp public key