Date:      Wed, 11 Aug 1999 00:58:09 -0400
From:      "Brett G. Castleberry" <bcc9746@garnet.acns.fsu.edu>
To:        "Dcollins" <dutch@charm.net>, "Don Read" <dread@calcasieu.com>
Cc:        "Mitch Collinsworth" <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Question about the mascot

The first time I saw the FreeBSD Daemon, I thought he was my old friend Hot
Stuff, the Harvey Comics character and role model for mischievous little
boys.  It would not surprise me if Hot Stuff provided inspiration for the
original rendering of the mascot by Phil Foglio (Complete FreeBSD, 2nd ed.,
p. 17.)  Anyway, granted that he might not be a great marketing tool, I
think the daemon reflects the personality of this list and its users, which
I would describe as "mercurial."  He is a representation of Mercury, child
prankster and divine messenger (therefore patron of telecom.)

Brett G. Castleberry
bcc9746@garnet.acns.fsu.edu
Tallahassee, Florida