Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:53:14 +0100
From:      Tom Hukins <tom@eborcom.com>
To:        Stewart Heckenberg <stewart.heckenberg@studentmail.newcastle.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Link error

Hi, Stewart.

On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 08:19:12PM +1000, Stewart Heckenberg wrote:

> On the main page, the link "Software/Getting FreeBSD" points to the
> installation page of the handbook instead of to the page list where you can
> get FreeBSD :)

The "Installing FreeBSD" section of the Handbook also contains
information on how to get FreeBSD. I think the "Getting FreeBSD"
link exists on the home page because when the link said "Installing
FreeBSD" some people were confused. They didn't realise the link
would give them information on how to obtain FreeBSD as well as how
to install FreeBSD.

> I also noticed that an article you have regarding Linux compatability ask
> the reader to refer to a section that is no longer about that topic,
> instead Linux compatibility was a couple of sections down the handbook
> list. I know you can't keep all the documentation up to date, but perhaps
> changing the layout of the handbook might have made things worse if
> sections were added/removed/relocated.

If you could specify the URL where you found the bad link, that would
be very useful. Also, if you could find out the new URL for the
Linux compatibility section, that would help. You should probably
"send-pr" your findings <http://www.freebsd.org/send-pr.html>.

Almost everyone who maintains FreeBSD's documentation does so as a
volunteer, so the best way to see that a problem is fixed is to fix
it yourself.

> Also, I thought the prevous version of the Handbook had a nicer layout -
> why the change?

I believe this is being worked on. The reasons for changing the
Handbook's format have been discussed at length on the freebsd-doc
list recently. You can browse archives of FreeBSD's mailing lists at
<http://www.freebsd.org/mail/>.

Regards,
Tom