Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:08:22 +0100
From:      craig <craig.freebsd@online.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: nvidia driver problem

Louis LeBlanc wrote:

>>(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/".
>>	Entry deleted from font path.
>>	(Run 'mkfontdir' on "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/").
>>(WW) `fonts.dir' not found (or not valid) in "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/".
>>	Entry deleted from font path.
>>	(Run 'mkfontdir' on "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/").
>

> These are worth fixing, though minor - the entries tell you how.

corrected - thanks, i should have done that sooner.

>>(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoRAM: 131072 kBytes
>>(II) NVIDIA(0): Connected display device(s): CRT-1, DFP-0
>>(WW) NVIDIA(0): Multiple displays connected, but only one display allowed;
>>(WW) NVIDIA(0):      using first display
>>(--) NVIDIA(0): Display device CRT-1: maximum pixel clock at  8 bpp: 350 MHz
>>(--) NVIDIA(0): Display device CRT-1: maximum pixel clock at 16 bpp: 350 MHz
>>(--) NVIDIA(0): Display device CRT-1: maximum pixel clock at 32 bpp: 350 MHz
>

> You have 2 monitors?  If so, I recommend the TwinView config.  It's
> tricky, but works well.

no, i dont - i have a single samsung syncmaster 213t - but it has both
analog and digital cables, as does the graphics cards. so i plugged them
both in.
winxp has no trouble switching between the two modes, and although i
need to manually switch with freebsd - it still makes a reasonable
difference.
x is only visible on digital, while console looks terrible unless in analog.
strange, but true.

>>#	Option	    "NoLogo"		"True"
>>#	Option	    "RenderAccel"	"True"
>
> You might want to uncomment RenderAccel - try it both ways once you get
> your color depth right.

will try that.

> As mentioned by the other posters, put the default depth speck in your
> screen section.

i hope this is the key - once the current bout of compiling is complete,
i will exit x and try again.

> Looks like you've got the NVidia AGP working, can I ask whether you
> compiled it with Linux support?  Did you get it from the ports or as a
> package from NVidia?

yes, the agp does seem to be working fine.
the nvidia package i downloaded direct from nvidia, and followed their
instructions. was easy enough - except for the colour depth.
i am not sure, however, if the nvidia driver was compiled with linux
support.
i did not do anything specific to make it so.
i'm not sure if it helps, but my kernel is compiled with linux abi
compatibility.
and although the directory /compat/linux/usr/lib does exist, it is
difficult to tell exactly which libraries nvidia are refering to in
their documentation. i guess the tester will be running a gl app.
i will test one of the screen savers when i switch over.

> And I assume you have Xorg installed from the ports?

yes, installed from the ports. works like a dream.

> The AGP feature has been an issue for several people, and it's been
> tricky nailing down the tipping point that will make it work for some
> and not others.  I've got it working (very nicely with two monitors) and
> it's bugging me that another person with the same card and FreeBSD
> version can't get it working.

i'll help where i can - this is a very fresh install of 5.3, and onto an
empty disk - so no upgrades or changes, just a straight install.
and i can pretty much remember most of what i've done to get here - if
it helps i can certainly note the steps. perhaps you could see something
in the sequence?

> Lou

thanks for your help, as well as jo and karel.

--
craig@small-pla.net