Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 11:23:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        Erik de Zeeuw <erik.dezeeuw@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with ethernet bridging with FreeBSd

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Erik de Zeeuw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to have a freebsd pc acting as an ethernet bridge, but I
> can't
> get it to work correctly.
>
> I compiled my kernel with the "options BRIDGE", with no errors. Then I'm
> turning the bridge on using the sysctl variables listed in the manpage,
> and it seems to be Ok.
>
> The problem is the packets does not travel from one ethernet to the
> other,
> except when they come from the freebsd bridge itself. The bridge sees
> everything, ping every machines on both ethernets, but that's all.
> Machines
> on one ethernet does not see any of the other ethernet's machines.
>
> The FreeBSD version is the 3.1 4CD set of Walnut Creek, March 1999. I'm
> using a P200, 32Mb, with 2 pci ne2000 cards wich are working fine.
>
> One card is ed1, with an ip adress, and the other is ed2 with no ip
> adress. Both are put in promisc mode when I'm setting the
> net.link.ether.bridge
> variable to 1.

I don't have anything to test this, but can you try assigning an IP
address to the second interface?

and are you sure you read this part of the manpage for "bridge":

        net.link.ether.bridge_ipfw

     Set to 1 to enable ipfw filtering on bridged packets. Note that ipfw
     rules only apply to IP packets. Non-IP packets are subject to the default
     ipfw rule (number 65535) which must be an allow rule if we want ARP and
     other non-IP packets to flow through the bridge.

?

make SURE both interfaces are "ifconfig <card> up"

-Alfred