Date:      Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:06:47 -0500
From:      lists@battleface.com
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: archiving and restoring disk images...

Thanks, Dan. I'm thinking this whole process over based on what you've
said. I've never tried storing a disk as an archive, so I thought I'd
try it on for size.

Thanks for your point of view. Very helpful.

Alex

On Tuesday, December 9, 2003, at 05:26  PM, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Dec 09), lists@battleface.com said:
>> I dumped a disk image of my root partition like this:
>>
>> dd if=/dev/da0s1a | gzip -9 -c > where.ever.gz
>>
>> Does this include the boot sector? In other words, if I need to
>> restore this disk image I can do the reverse and the boot sector and
>> root partition will be back to that state. How should I go about
>> this, if what I'm saying is valid? Can I do this in single user mode
>> or should I boot from CD and go from there? I haven't needed to do
>> this yet, but I want to know how. If dumping the root partition like
>> this is not a good means of backing up, please say so. What would you
>> recommend? I tar most everything else.
>
> The first BSD partition includes the disklabel partition and the boot
> blocks for that slice, but will not contain the MBR or fdisk partition
> table.  Something like "dd if=/dev/da0 of=mbr count=1" would do that.
>
> To restore the disklabel partition you'll need to dd your where.ever
> dump to /dev/da0s1, since on a new disk there won't be an 'a' partition
> to write to.  After the dd is done, the 'a' partition should appear.
>
> I usually either use dump or tar to back up my root partition, and use
> sysinstall or a bootable CD image to fdisk and disklabel new media
> before restoring.  That way I can change the partition sizes if my new
> disk is larger/smaller than the original.
>
> --
> 	Dan Nelson
> 	dnelson@allantgroup.com

Alexander Sendzimir                             802 863 5502
  Mac Tutor of Vermont, LLC         info @ mactutor . vt . us
   Colchester, VT 05446