Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 2014 22:36:24 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>,  freebsd-stable stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   TESTING required: keyboard maps for NEWCONS (committed to -CURRENT and available for -STABLE)

I have just committed keymap definitions that are converted to work with
NEWCONS. Since the new console expects a Unicode locale, all
the different encodings are no longer needed - but all files had to
be converted from their respective encodings to Unicode.

Since the character encoding is no longer required in the file
names, all names where converted to be named by ISO country code
(plus ISO language code, where required) followed by modifiers
(e.g. .acc for accent keys).

It is likely, that I introduced regressions, even though I spent
quite a few hours on the conversion process and the manual
verification of the results.

These files are currently only committed to -CURRENT and I plan
to MFC to 10-STABLE as soon as possible (and permitted), which is
in 3 days.

If you are able to test the keymap files under -CURRENT, I'd love
to receive your feedback and remarks. Please do not commit any
fixes directly to -CURRENT, since I'm still working on these files
(I'm afraid of merge conflicts and higher effort required for the
MFC in a few days ...).

If you are a (potential) NEWCONS user on -STABLE, you may want to
extract the contents of

	http://people.freebsd.org/~se/vt-keymaps.tar.bz2

into /usr/share/vt/keymaps. (The Makefile is not required, if you
directly extract to that directory, but it does no harm.)

We really want to have verified keymaps for NEWCONS in 10-STABLE
and the more "special" your language (i.e. the farther it is away
from ISO8859-1 ;-) ) the bigger the risk that some specialty has
been lost during the conversion.

Please test and report your expected deadkeys vs. nodeadkeys
experience, the combinations of Shift, Ctrl, Alt, Alt-Gr and
all keys that you expect to support such modifiers, and the
Caps Lock behavior (on keys that respect or ignore Caps Lock).

I'll be reserving a few hours each day to get this into good
shape for 10.1.

Best regards, STefan