Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:35:27 -0500
From:      Jason Garman <jgarman@wedgie.org>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Thomas_K=F6llmann?= <koellmann@gmx.net>
Cc:        Grigoriy Strokin <grg@philol.msu.ru>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New kernel with its ATA drivers damages the filesystem

On Fri, Mar 31, 2000 at 02:23:57PM +0200, Thomas Köllmann wrote:

> Please excuse if this was mentioned before (I did not follow this
> thread very closely), but isn't _not_ using
>
> 	options		ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA
>
> enough as a measure of precaution?
>
> This is from LINT:
>
> # ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA: enable DMA on ATAPI device, since many ATAPI
> # devices claim to support DMA but doesn't actually work, this is
> # not enabled as default.

Note there is a subtle distinction between ATAPI devices and ATA hard
disks. The devices which that option disables DMA for are devices like
CD-ROMs, IDE zip drives, etc. -- NOT normal IDE hard drives -- they use
DMA with the new driver regardless of that setting.

enjoy
--
Jason Garman                                         http://web.wedgie.org/
Student, University of Maryland                          jgarman@wedgie.org