Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 1997 10:11:34 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Keith Mitchell <kmitch@weenix.guru.org>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3940UW and SMP

Hi,

> In my system, I have the on-board IDE stuff disabled.  I also have nothing
> on IRQ 5.  Which leaves IRQs: 5, 14, and 15 totally unused.  I have them
> marked for PCI/PNP use in my bios yet it still won't use them.
14 and 15 are sometimes internally routed from IDE controller to 8259 ICUs
within the same piece of silicon (ie BOTH are on same chipset, the
motherboard chipset) and the lines are NOT brought out of the chip.  this
means the MB manufacturer cannot use them on the ISA bus.  Why 5 is a problem
I have no theory.

---
> After discovering this, I removed one of the ethernet cards like you
> suggested.  The result was it was still sharing (IRQ 10 this time).  It didn't
> use IRQ 9 at all.  So then I removed the other ethernet card.  Now nothing
> was sharing an IRQ but the kernel still failed in the same way (not passing
> control over to init).

time for another theory...

--
Steve Passe	| powered by