Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 2008 15:15:42 -0700
From:      Jo Rhett <jrhett@netconsonance.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: challenge: end of life for 6.2 is premature with buggy 6.3

On Jun 7, 2008, at 1:52 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>> I'd said nearly a dozen times that the issues I have aren't
>> specifics.  I am questioning the overall policy for EoL here.
>
> Your concerns have been noted. You seem unwilling or unable to
> accept the explanation that no matter what you think about the
> situation, we don't have the resources to support 6.2.

I haven't been given an explanation.   I was given that bare
statement.  An explanation might help me understand where I can help
improve the situation.

> Furthermore, according to the vast number of people with way more
> experience and way more hardware running 6.3 than you have (jhb from
> Yahoo! alone qualifies in this category, but he wasn't alone) your
> concerns are in fact, misplaced.

The people that I know of working around problems in 6.3 all work at
Yahoo, so ...

> To drive this thread even further into the realm of uselessness, you
> seem to be dead set on replying to every single post, saying
> basically the same thing over and over, and not listening to
> anything anyone is telling you.

So far I have been (a) insulted (b) told to "take it or leave it" or
(c) demanded to provide specific PRs.

Nobody has responded to the question.

> So I would like to suggest that you simply stop. Enjoy your trip.
> When you come back if you have specific concerns about your
> EXPERIENCE running 6.3 (or later) on your specific hardware, fire
> away.

I suspect you are right, it's time to stop dealing with FreeBSD.  The
product is quality, but the abuse one has to sustain to ask a question
on the mailing list isn't worth it.

--
Jo Rhett
and other randomness