Date:      Thu, 3 Apr 1997 19:10:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mtools and speed

Hi !
Can anyone tell me why the mtools are getting slowly when I write to
SCSI disks instead of IDE disks ? At home I have a SCSI disk partitioned in
FreeBSD/DOS partitions and when I'm using mcopy to write onto the DOS
partition I get a rate of nearly 10KB/s. Even a mdir command acts very
slow, sometimes the whole system freezes for maybe 15 seconds.

At work I have a Toshiba laptop with an IDE disk (also 1 DOS and 1 FreeBSD
partition on it). When I'm writing to the DOS partition with mcopy it's
really fast (I think nearly 1 MB/s). An mdir is also very fast.
So what can I do ? Is it a SCSI-problem ? I have an Adaptec 2940AU and
all of my disks act the same...:-(

By the way, I'm only using the msdosfs when reading DOS files. I trashed
my disk too often after writing to it, so I have to use the mtools because
they're working perfectly. Just too slow...:-(

Thanx for any help !

Bye,
	Udo

--