Date:      Mon, 02 Feb 1998 20:28:06 -0500
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netscape/swap_pager causing problems with syscons

Donn Miller wrote in message ID
<Pine.NEB.3.96.980202132937.222A-100000@myname.my.domain>:
> Jordan hinted to this as a problem with syscons in one posting I saw.  I
> would have to agree.  In general, running out of swap space with netscape
> and X running wrecks havoc on syscons.  I was wondering if anyone has
> experience with this problem and a possible solution as to how to get
> syscons responding again.  I can't login by way of serial console so I
> guess the only choice is to just ctrl+alt+delete

The problem is that the X server reprograms the chipset on the video
card to do what *it* wants. Syscons has no idea of the original
settings, and therefore can't restore them if X exits abnormally
(i.e. running out of swap and the kernel killing the server)

The only possible solution is telling the console code how to reprogram
the video chipset, and making X indirect through the console code
for paramater changes.

Gary