Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:30:49 +0300
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        Ron McCy <mccyron@kc.rr.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.x  Installation failure - White Stripes on initial boot.

Hi!

>   Computer: SpaceWalker-Pentium III.800mHz, 256MB, 20GB
>   hd running FreeBSD 4.8 as the only operating system.
>   Goal: Non graphical work stattion - possible Samba
>   server.
>
> After an minimal installation the system "freezes"
> shortly after passing the boot manager and the monitor
> shows several long, white vertical stripes that
> resemble bar codes. The system is unresponsive and has
> to be forced to cold boot.

Does this also happen when you boot to single user mode?

If it does, then I'm not sure what's wrong - sounds like some hardware
incompatibility. Maybe someone can tell after seeing the dmesg.

If it doesn't then I'm curious exactly what kind of install did you do?
What distributions did you choose to install? It may be worth to
install only the bare minimum at first and later add everything else
via ports/packages - that's what I usually do.
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* Money is the root of all evil.  For more info send $39