Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 13:02:11 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Luiz de Barros <luiz@nlink.com.br>
Cc:        Edwin Culp <eculp@ver1.telmex.net.mx>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG, support@etinc.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cabling problems with etinc?

Luiz de Barros wrote:

> Dear Edwin and ALL,
>
> I think i was not very clear.
> We have now a pathrouter here and a Cisco 2509 router on the other side (
> The backbone presence provider ). The connection is at 256Kbps via
> fractional E1.
> I would like to put one of the ports from etinc ( 0 or 1 ) connected to
> the CSU/DSU ( Converter ) and take out the cyclades router ( FreeBSD is
> quite better than a single router ).
> My CSU/DSU has a V.35 cable that works very fine with no problem if i
> connect it to a Cyclades, Cisco, IBM router  but not with etinc ( putting
> etinc instead of the router ).
> I thought it could be a cable incompatibility but it seems quite strange,
> as all routers work with it. I tryed connecting RXclockA to TxclockA and
> TxclockB to RxclockB on etinc but it did not work as well. Why should the
> converter not work with etinc and work with a router?
>
> Luiz

>From memory etinc used a slightly non standard pinout.
to make an etinc cable work on a standard router:

on the DB25 end you need to have the wire that goes to 11 go to 13
instead
and the wire that goes to pin 17 go to 23 instead
and the wir ethat goes to 9 should go to 17

obviously, reverse these to get a standard cable to work on an etinc
card.

At least that's what I have in my notes..

I once needed a DB25 to V35 cable and had an etinc card
so I canibalised it's cable. I needed to make these changes
(or something similar) to make it work on a router.

so the answer is:
Use the etinc cable on the etinc board and don't get it confused
or mixed in with the other cables or you'll give yourself trouble.

julian