Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 23:49:57 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca (Spidey)
Cc:        peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Examining FBSD set[ug]ids and their use

Spidey wrote,
> > ># Allow users to bind on a socket (which? where?)
> > >	ping mode=4555
> > Needed to allow ordinary mortals to sent raw IP (ICMP) packets.
>
> I don't think this should be enable by default... on a shell box, this
> could cause some pretty dense headaches...

You don't think mortal users should be able to ping? IMHO, ping is a
_very_ basic utility that generally should be turned on. I don't want
to have to 'su' to root everytime I want to ping a host to see if it
is awake. Same goes for traceroute(8).

If you want to turn off the setuid (in which case you might as well
chmod to 700 as well), you can, but I really don't see it as the
default setup.