Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2005 07:02:07 +0000
From:      Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Quick Install Question

On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 19:18, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 27, 2005 1:42:54 PM
> "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
> Subject: Re: Quick Install Question
> Wrote these words of wisdom:
>

> > Is the WinXP partition in the same computer that is running FreeBSD? Or
> > is the NTFS partition a shared directory on a separate WinXP computer?
> > (I was not aware that Samba could be used to read NTFS partitions
> > residing on a FreeBSD computer.)
> >
> > The original poster wishes to dual boot WinXP and FreeBSD on the same
> > computer.
> >
> > Andrew Gould

Gerhard,

Just to clear up a point. In your case, Samba is not writing to NTFS. it
is handling the communications between the 2 operating systems using the
SMB protocol. The individual OS' handle to filing system input/outputs.

The issue with FreeBSD reading and writing to NTFS directly is
different. There is a driver that will allow FreeBSD to read NTFS, but
because of the complexities of NTFS writing to it is dificult and whilst
possible can cause the NTFS partition to become unreadable by XP.

For info the best way of setting up dual booting of FreeBSD and XP is to
use 3 partitions, 1 for XP using NTFS, 1 for FreeBSD and a 3rd Fat32
partition for data transfer.

Rob