Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 23:56:48 -0400
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        impaqds@bellsouth.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mass Confusion

>     After spending a hour on dozens of web pages concerning
> FREEBSD I decided to download the OS and try it out.
>
>     Funny thing. I cannot find one single reference on any ftp
> readme or index file that tells me what specific name the FREEBSD
> OS is listed under. I found hundreds of files and sub directories with
> absolute zero information as to what constitutes the stand alone OS
> itself. I understand the developer code files and the porting add ons
> in the file listing,but nowhere is there specific names or instructions
> for the stand alone FREEBSD OS anywhere. Come on guys ! If you
> want this thing to be used and developed like UNIX you must cut the
> OS distribution files for installation loose from thousands of
> supplementary and confusing listings.I have talked to other
> developers about FREEBSD and they tried your home site and
> managed to download hundreds of files,but no complete OS. I see
> why they stuck with UNIX. I just wanted to see what the problems
> were. I can see very clearly why FREEBSD is not a mainstrem OS
> like Linux. It is too hard to identify and download the main OS !
>
>  Do not take this the wrong way. This is not a spam or a flame,just a
> comment from a confused individual.As a WINDOWS NT network
> manager I am always looking for alternatives to cut costs. I looked at
> LINUX and got ill just reading the docs.; it has a long way to go.
> Remember guys you are trying to convert millions of DOS and
> WINDOWS users and developers who expect flawless one click
> downloads in a GUI environment. Most run screaming and shaken
> when confronted with any text based instructions. Sorry but that's
> the real world for the majority of new age PC owners.I deal with
> them every day and they get dumber every year.

You might have spent "a hour on dozens of web pages concerning FREEBSD," but
apparently one of them wasn't http://www.freebsd.org. If you'd looked there
you'd have seen, in big letters, the words "Easy to install." The last sentence
of the paragraph below that says, "All you need is a single 1.44MB boot floppy
and these directions." You follow the directions that this link leads you to,
and you find that it is indeed easy--very, very easy--to install.

Chris Johnson