Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 15:26:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
Cc:        cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xterm termcap definition

>   Regarding the alternate screen behaviour:
>
>   I think the "alternate screen" feature should *not* be enabled bu
>   default, too many people are used to one-screen behaviour (i.e. the
>   last screen of output of more/less is still displayed when more
>   exits). Eric's and NetBSD's entries have alternate screen enabled and
>   should be changes before importing them to FreeBSD. I aplogize for
>   overlooking this.
>
> I disagree.  The alternate screen behavior is the canonical behavior for
> XTerms.  It's been freebsd that's been different all this time, and I recall
> just how much this torqed me off when I switched to freebsd.

I *totally* disagree.  The alternate screen behavior has never been
standard in *any* xterm system I've used.  To note:

HP/UX, Ultrix, SunOS, Solaris, VMS (yeah, VMS), 386BSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
OSF/1, and Digital Unix.  Should I go on?  None of them xterm entries
used the alternate screen behavior by default.

Nate