Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 2004 00:19:45 -0700
From:      Matt Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net>
To:        Lloyd Hayes <wyoming_antelope@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Commands

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> On 2004-06-15 12:40, Lloyd Hayes <wyoming_antelope@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I have the FreeBSD Handbook on a computer hard drive. There isn't any
>>mention of the line commands that FreeBSD uses or recognizes in the
>>handbook. Where do I find these?

Others have given many good tips for learning "newbie" things, but one
thing you might want to think about is buying a good tutorial level
book, I've found "FreeBSD Unleashed" to be helpful and a very old cpoy
of "The Complete FreeBSD" still comes in handy, I'd imagine a new
edition would be even more handy.

Another good book is O'Reilly's "UNIX in a nutshell", It's of more use
once you've got some conception of how this beast called UNIX actually
works, since it's intended as a reference, but even after seven years of
running various flavors of UNIX both at home and at work, I still find
myself reaching for it at times.

As  a bit of a plug, "The Complete FreeBSD" is the book that got me up
and running, Oh, so long ago. It's a damn fine tome and I highly
recommend it. One of the best UNIX books on the market, IMHO.

> Hi Lloyd,
>
> Others have already mentioned the "Basics" section of the Handbook.
> I just wanted to add two more references that might be handy to get
> you started:
>
>  1. Anderson, Annelise.  "For People New to Both FreeBSD and UNIX(TM)".
>     http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/new-users/
>
>  2. Gonzato, Guido.  "From DOS/Windows to Linux HOWTO".
>     http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/DOS-Win-to-Linux-HOWTO.html
>
> It might intrigue some and seem curious to others that I---a long time
> FreeBSD user and advocate---would point to a Linux HOWTO.  The truth is
> that most of the tips that apply for getting people acquainted with
> Linux are also good advice for using *any* UNIX system.

As Giorgos says, any Linux tutorial is probably worthwile. Linux and
FreeBSD are different, but at a user level the "flavor" of both is
largely the same. A linux tutorial will at least use the same command
names(mostly) as FreeBSD but the options might differ. Remember, the man
command is your friend.

If you have the option you want to spend some time just playing before
you try to do anything useful. Just try to do things, learn the
environment, &c. Just by trying do get stuff done you'll learn an
amazing amount in a very short time.

> Welcome to FreeBSD then,

Seconded, enjoy the journey.