Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2017 05:06:48 +0000
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        karels@freebsd.org
Cc:        Don Lewis <truckman@freebsd.org>, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>,  "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: Sendmail deprecation ?

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 at 3:03 pm, Mike Karels <karels@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 05:45:57PM -0800, Don Lewis wrote:
> > > Not really silly.
>
> > It's silly to be in the default install on an arm board IMHO.
>
> > mcl
>
> Presumably dealing with this issue is one of the goals of turning base
> into packages, and hopefully there can be different defaults for
> different architectures or profiles.

I personally think that pkgbase doesn=E2=80=99t answer 2 questions:
1. What mail agent(s) do FreeBSD developers want to maintain the source for
in the base tree?
2. What mail agent do we want installed and running on FreeBSD systems by
default (without having answered any questions or made any changes... e.g.
quickly provisioning 100 jails with a stock install).

Sure people can remove packages, but to me that shouldn=E2=80=99t get in th=
e way of
making changes to match the general consensus answer to these 2 questions
(whatever that may be).

My vote is for dma, because it is small and simple. If a few features need
to be added to dma to make it work for more people, suggest they should be
added first (with the status of the necessary steps to progress towards
removing sendmail being tracked on a wiki page).

I think I am seeing the majority of people are for this, but there are a
number of the people in the community and developers who are not. If there
is not a clear consensus, perhaps this should be submitted as a FreeBSD
Community Proposal (FCP).

https://github.com/freebsd/fcp

Regards,
Ben