Date:      Tue, 14 May 1996 13:01:41 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Knobs in /etc/sysconfig

Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:

> [ Digging deep into his pile of mail for which an answer was warranted but
>  not given, Jordan yanks forth the following hoary gem - wow, July of '95!]

Was I even born then? 8)

> > It's impossible to embed _all_ of the intelligence required into these
> > comments, and overdoing it is harmful to your sanity, but minimising the
> > keyword-specific intelligence required for processing would be nice 8)
>
> I think it's already on the borderline of `overdone' as it is, so you
> won't catch me willfully adding to it. :-) Nonetheless, it looks like
> a more than reasonable start.

Hmm.  Possibly the only strategic change I'd be inclined to make would be
to keep all the 'template' intelligence somewhere else out of the way
(/var/config/sysconfig.hints?), and just emit the settings and comments
as /etc/sysconfig.

The "problem" we face is that we want to please the user community, not
dictate to them 8)  So we can't say 'use the new tool or else', because
there're are pile of people who feel that 'vi' is the only truly useful
system administration tool, and we don't want to alienate them 8)

> > Some other proposals : variable name prefixes.  I've already proposed
> > KBD and NET, I'll add PKG_pkgname for package-specific stuff (in a
> > Packages section).
> >
> > As far as types are concerned, I see current use of :
> >
> > Boolean : ON/OFF
> > OneOf : one of a,b,c,d
> > ListOf : none or more of a,b,c,d
> > String : some string value
> > StringBoolean : some string value or OFF (or NO or something similar).
> > FQDN : qualified name (dotted address style)
> > IPADDR : a dotted-quad value.
> > Pathname : a pathname
> >
> > I can see possible use for :
> >
> > Mailaddr : a mail address
> > Device : a device name
> >
> > And I'm sure I've missed some.
>
> Hmm.  Seems like "StringBoolean" is just a degenerate case of "OneOf
> YES,NO,OFF,ON" or whatever, but aside from that the selection seems
> fine to me.

StringBoolean was meant to handle things like the sendmail_flags case,
where NO has mystic significance.  An editor would devolve it to an
Off/On selector and an entry field for the value, but in reality it'd
be desirable for the value to persist across an On/Off/On transition,
so we'd probably do it as

NET_sendmail_enabled=YES
NET_sendmail_flags="-bd -q30m"

> I like it!  Why don't we do that already?  If you knew how the sysconfig
> munging in sysinstall worked, you'd barf - we need something better. :-)

Hmm.  Preferences?  Embed it all in /etc/sysconfig (and make it vulnerable
to editor damage, but obvious to the user), or use a seperate template?