Date:      Sun, 20 May 2018 07:36:25 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
To:        Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Deprecation and removal of the drm2 driver

In message <a7sv-ebj7-wny@FreeBSD.org>, Jan Beich writes:
> Slawa Olhovchenkov <slw@zxy.spb.ru> writes:
>
> > On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 07:58:10PM +0200, Niclas Zeising wrote:
> >
> >> [ Cross posted to freebsd-current@ and freebsd-x11@.  Please respect
> >> reply-to and send all replies to freebsd-x11@.  Thanks! ]
> >>

> >> Hi!
> >> I propose that we remove the old drm2 driver (sys/dev/drm2) from
> >> FreeBSD.  I suggest the driver is marked as deprecated in 11.x and
> >> removed from 12.0, as was done for other drivers recently.  Some
> >> background and rationale:
> >>
> >> The drm2 driver was the original port of a KMS driver to FreeBSD.  It
> >> was done by Konstantin Belousov to support Intel graphics cards, and
> >> later extended by Jean-Sébastien Pédron as well as Konstantin to match
> >> what's in Linux 3.8.  This included unstable support from Haswell, but
> >> nothing newer than that.
> >>
> >> For quite some time now we have had the graphics/drm-stable-kmod and
> >> graphics/drm-next-kmods which provides support for modern AMD and Intel
> >> graphics cards.  These ports, together with the linuxkpi, or lkpi, has
> >
> > What about old graphics card? I am have notebook w/ i945 chipset, is
> > this supported by graphics/drm-*?
> >
> > And what about nvidia?
> > (sorry, I am not developer this drivers, I am just user, I am don't
> > know what need for nvidia work etc)
>
> NVIDIA dropped 32bit driver since 396.* series. None of x11/nvidia-driver*
> currently depend on either drm.ko or drm2.ko. However, Linux driver
> appears to depend on DRM/KMS since 364.12.

I think that if we want to still keep i386 viable, maybe some effort
needs to be put into 915resolution to help VESA look somewhat
reasonable. IIRC, as it's been a long time since I've looked at this, a
person will need a custom xorg.conf. However IIRC that model breaks if
person switches between a laptop monitor and an external monitor. The
problem is fixable however I didn't have a open evening to look at it
when I did.

The 915resolution option isn't exactly available to those unwilling or
unable to tinker a little.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>