Date:      Wed, 25 Nov 1998 23:49:43 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tell Micro$oft what you think

At 09:46 PM 11/25/98 -0700, Doug Russell wrote:

>On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
>
>> Charlie Schloemer wrote:
>>
>> 	as users of FreeBSD, we should be deeply grateful to these
>> 	hardware companies....we get all the improvement without
>> 	suffering any of the MS induced sludge-ware.
>
>I'm not so sure about that...  Think of the hardware we might be using
>today if it weren't for MS domination?  The last several generations of
>hardware have been built around running windows.  AMD's K6es say "Windows
>Compatible" on the top, etc....
>
>There's definetly two sides to this argument, and I agree with parts of
>both.  :)
>
>You can't try to figure how things would be if they were different. :)
>
>Later......						<Doug>

Well at the same time we have multifunction machines that only work on
Windows (I can't even find a MFP for a MAC).. and the invention of
Host-Signal Processing modems, which if I remember right, PCTEL Inc. seemed
to pave the way for these..  I don't agree with HSP modems because I don't
like the fact that you need a fast machine to decode the signals.

At the same time, these proposed "Winmodems" generally lack DOS support
(with exception to the Lucent Tech ones, and maybe some others).  I use a
regular External Motorola Modemsurfr, and then on my FreeBSD machine there
is a 25th Anniversary Hayes External, and a USR 28.8 External.  Windows may
have paved the road to general home computing, but some of these 'amazing
inventions' would have been better left on the design table.

Personally I aim for hardware that works with just about anything.  OS
Specific hardware (HSP modems, etc.) infringe on the regular home user that
just bought a Compaq from the local WalMart to install FreeBSD across a PPP
link...

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us