Date:      Wed, 5 Oct 2005 05:13:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
To:        K Anderson <freebsduser@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stored hard drive failure?

At Wed, 5 Oct 2005 it looks like K Anderson composed:

> Hey folks,
>
> I thought a saw a thread on something like this but I can't seem to find it
> so I figure I might as well ask and see what turns up.
>
> The scenario:
> I use a hard drive to mirror my main hard drive. I then pull the alternate
> hard drive off the system and store it for later use should the primary
> drive fail, or the system as a whole fails.
>
> How long can the hard drive sit on the shelf before some sort of natural
> cause that prevents it from spinning up properly?

Well, this may or may not be of any help but are these stored
drives kept in a hermetic seal?

I just bought a 'de-humidifier' for my room (not for computer
reasons but now I'm glad for that reason) and I was SHOCKED to
see that after 24-hours it had collected 1/2 gallon of water out
of the air and it was just an average day out here in San
Francisco, no rain nor fog.

I would imagine that it would affect the drives I have stored in
boxes in my house too.

--
Bill Schoolcraft
PO Box 210076