Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:01:03 PDT
From:      Darryl M Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        "Arun Welch" <welch@anzus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, darrylo@soco.agilent.com
Subject:   Re: Inspiron 5000/7500 & X

Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> > Has anyone gotten X to work with the 15" 1400x1080 screen?
>
> Yes.  Xig's Accelerated X/Laptop version works, and there are (nasty)
> hacks to make XFree86 work (much slower) as well.

     The nasty hacks are only for XFree86 3.3.5.  XFree86 4.0 works
fine, "out-of-the-box".  The only caveats for 4.0 are:

* The setup command, "XFree86 -configure", doesn't work on the
  Inspiron 7500 (don't know about the 5000).  You have to write your
  own XF86Config file.

* There are, supposedly, security issues with 4.0, as the server is
  setuid root.

* As Mike said, the 4.0 server is slow (in fact, it's unaccelerated).
  However, it should be adequately fast for most people.  While the
  XIG server is faster, I (personally) can't justify spending US$200
  for speed that I don't really need.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@soco.agilent.com