Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 2004 11:50:18 +0800
From:      "Russell J. Wood" <rjw@open-cpp.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can i make a CD of the Ports Collection

--RnlQjJ0d97Da+TV1

Yes, this could be done. First, create an ISO image of the directory with
`mkisofs' (included in /usr/ports/sysutils/cdrtools):

mkisofs -A ports -allow-lowercase -allow-multidot -f -no-cache-inodes -D -l=
 -J
-o ports.iso -p peter -R -V ports /usr/ports

Note: this will produce a non-standards compliant ISO image, but it will be=
 able
to be read on both MS Windows and FreeBSD.

Then, burn the image to CD using `burncd' (included in
/usr/ports/sysutils/cdrtools):

burncd -f /dev/acd0 -v -s <your_drive_speed> data ports.iso fixate

When it's time to install, remove everything in `/usr/ports' (rm -r
/usr/ports/*) and copy the burned data across. And, to finish it of, CVSup =
the
ports afterwards.

- Russell